You might think that Michigan doesn’t have to worry about floods. Nothing can be further from the truth. In 2013, the waters of the Grand Rapids River flooded with historic proportions and affected many homes and businesses. Then, a year later, Detroit found itself under floodwaters. In 2018, “catastrophic” flooding occurred along Michigan’s upper peninsula. The reality is that climate change is affecting the amount of rain and snow that Michigan sees annually. Michiganders are expected to see continued precipitation events and widespread flooding across the state. Michigan isn’t called the “Land of 10,000 lakes” for nothing!
Flooding is the most severe and frequent weather threat facing the U.S. today. That threat is even more significant for those living near water bodies or low-lying areas. Fortunately, there are viable flood water control systems that are available. The most accessible and most convenient prevention tool on the market today is a portable, inflatable cofferdam.
What is an Inflatable Cofferdam?
An inflatable cofferdam is a long tube made of industrial-grade vinyl that can be customized at several height options, with an infinite number of feet in length available. The vinyl tubes are brought to the site, where they’re placed around the perimeter and connected to an on-site or nearby water source (via pumps). The water is then pumped into the tubes until they are fully expanded. The weight of the water holds the tubes in place and prevents any floodwaters from crossing that line.
Benefits of Using an Inflatable Cofferdam for Flood Control
There are many benefits to using a water-inflated cofferdam over sandbags, but some of the key benefits include:
- Customizable layout: With a flexible design, inflatable cofferdams can be used in hundreds of configurations. This allows you to have a completely customized solution to protect your home or business.
- Rapid deployment: In the event of emergent rising floodwaters, you want a solution that can be set up as quickly as possible. Not only can the inflatable cofferdam be transported to your site fast, but they can be installed and inflated quickly, with minimal resources and workforce.
- Puncture-resistance: Dam-It Dams cofferdams are constructed of industrial-grade geotextile material that can withstand the force of water, rocks, and debris.
- Easy removal and storage: Once the floodwaters recede, the cofferdams can be deflated, folded, and rolled up for easy removal and storage.
- Corrosion-resistance: Unlike steel barriers, inflatable cofferdams resist corrosion caused by constant contact with water.
- Eco-friendly: The design of the inflatable cofferdam is such that it leaves any subsurface virtually free of any disruption. This means that any underlying terrain or plant life remains undisturbed.
Being Fully Prepared for What Mother Nature Sends Your Way
You may have heard the old saying, “A scout is always prepared.” Take this saying to heart. Global warming and other atmospheric changes have caused Michigan and many other states to face the fact that flooding is occurring on a larger scale and more frequently. Please don’t wait until it’s too late! Take steps now to protect your most significant asset… not just the property itself, but all of its contents… the things considered priceless!
To learn more about inflatable cofferdams that can be used to protect your Michigan home or business against floodwaters, call the water control experts and a manufacturer you can trust at Dam-It Dams. Located in Grand Blanc, MI, we have experts standing by to help you be prepared. Call us at (810) 695-1695 or email our sales department at [email protected]