Both hurricanes and extreme rainstorms can present several problems for local communities. When weather authorities issue a flood warning, many business owners turn to sandbags or alternate flood control methods to prepare. Flash flooding in moderate to low-risk areas accounts for nearly 25% of flood insurance claims. For those who live near the coast, the amount of property damage claims increases exponentially. As a business owner, having a flood control solution that is easy to use and inexpensive like an inflatable cofferdam will make the difference between your business being adequately prepared or not.
Preparation is Key
When it comes to being prepared for flooding there are two aspects you need to consider – how prone to flooding an area is, and how you should best prepare for flood prevention. Obviously, if your business sits on top of a mountain then you have nothing to worry about. If your business sits in a flood plain or is close to a large source of water – especially a river – then you perhaps need to get yourself prepared for the worst. No matter what people might say, the prevention measures are always better than the cure. Most people opt for some type of drainage system that stands ready to receive water should nearby sources of water overflow. Such systems are really only designed for low levels of flooding. If an area floods to an excessive level, then these drainage systems will only add to the problem.
An Inflatable Cofferdam is Perhaps the Best Way to Prevent Flooding Problems
A more ideal solution to the problem of flooding is the use of an inflatable cofferdam. If flooding is predicted, then often you need to act quickly. It is doubtful that you will have the time to construct a permanent flood barrier. Inflatable cofferdams, like the ones supplied by us here at Dam-It-Dams, can be placed into position quickly and effectively. Should flooding then happen they will create an effective barrier, keeping the water away from where you do not want it to reach.
What is an Inflatable Cofferdam?
While a dam is easily understood as a mechanism that stops water from flowing to a certain area, an inflatable cofferdam can be explained similarly. Like any cofferdam that is built within, or in pairs across a body of water, an inflatable cofferdam uses the water of the area to inflate its bladder tank. By taking in enough water to stabilize the internal baffle system, an inflatable dam removes water from an area and creates a reliable barrier. Whether it’s to guard against heavy rains or increased river flow in certain areas, an inflatable cofferdam has become the top choice for guarding against flooding.
Advantages of an Inflatable Cofferdam as a Flood Barrier
An inflatable cofferdam can be used to protect a large property from devastating floods, a worksite from water erosion, or a roadway from having its sediment washed away. Compared to sandbags, inflatable flood barriers give business owners several benefits:
- Lightweight portability: When not in use, the water inflated dams can be folded and stored away for future use. Being portable, they can be transferred quickly between places, making them suitable for emergencies.
- Puncture-resistant: The industrial geo-textile material that comprises our inflatable flood barriers allows it to withstand tremendous forces and impact.
- Highly versatile: Designed with industrial-grade vinyl, inflatable flood barriers are designed to withstand punctures from nearby bushes or plant life.
- Environmentally safe: These dams also don’t require any extensive site preparation, unlike floodwalls and levees.
- Expandable: Inflatable flood barriers are made to be linked together to form a continuous tube, filled with water to create a strong barrier.
- Long-term investment: Though the initial cost may seem high, the purchase of inflatable flood barriers will save property owners significant amounts of money over the long term. Additionally, once you buy one, it will last for years to come.
Keeping Floodwaters Contained with Inflatable Cofferdams from Dam-It-Dams
Water is a powerful force if left unchecked. From property damage to water contamination, not having the best flood protection equipment can be detrimental for your business. With several sizes to choose from, Dam-It-Dams has proven solutions for protecting against floodwaters. To learn more about flooding protection and water-filled inflatable cofferdams, reach out to the experienced experts at Dam-It-Dams today. Contact us by calling (810) 695-1695 or reach out online to request a free cofferdam quote.