Hurricanes are potentially the most destructive and potent forces of nature, which continue to devastate the coasts of the United States. Flooding is the most considerable concern for those who suffer from hurricanes. With roads as the lifeblood for repair services, evacuations, and emergency responders, it is imperative to protect them. Furthermore, flooding doesn’t require a hurricane to disrupt daily life, as the recent flooding of New York City in September 2023 shows just how devastating heavy rainfall can be. How can you improve the chances of a roadway being covered and reduce the cleanup time? That is where inflatable cofferdams come into play, offering superior protection and quick and easy setup and takedown.
What Is An Inflatable Cofferdam?
Inflatable cofferdams are temporary damming structures that act as a barrier for protection against water intrusion. Often used in the construction industry, temporary cofferdams are also helpful for flood protection. Inflatable cofferdams differ from other damming options because they are made of a flexible geotextile material that allows for a lightweight but effective damming option.
Uses Of Inflatable Cofferdams For Road Protection
- Speedy Setup: While hurricane forecasting has grown exceptionally effective over the past few decades, nature can still be unpredictable, and a swift response to changing conditions is essential in an emergency scenario. Inflatable cofferdams can be erected and filled in a few hours, giving you plenty of time to set up and get to safety before the storm arrives.
- Lasting Durability: Inflatable cofferdams are puncture resistant and, when filled, are incredibly heavy, making it unlikely they will shift from heavy winds.
- Interconnectivity: Roads stretch long distances, and thus, you will need the same in your inflatable cofferdam. Inflatable cofferdams from Dam-It-Dams can be interconnected, allowing for extended protection along riverbanks, low-lying areas, and anywhere you may need a water intrusion barrier. This frees up valuable time for workers to focus on other emergency relief and keeping roads open for all services and civilians of a hurricane-affected area.
- Reusability: Hurricanes are a yearly occurrence and often can strike more than once during a single season. Therefore, you will want a structure that can be used repeatedly. So long as they are transported and stored correctly, an inflatable cofferdam can be reused and redeployed easily and placed in areas that will be the most heavily affected.
- Environmentally Safe: Finally, you may be concerned with the overall environmental impact of damming natural occurrences. Traditional hurricane protections like sandbags, earthen barriers, and other methods are time-consuming and create dangerous conditions for the surrounding environment. For example, sandbags can leak hazardous material into waterways and soil. Conversely, inflatable cofferdams leave nothing behind; they sit atop the topsoil and protect without affecting the surrounding areas.
While you may never have the notice you need for ever-shifting environmental events, inflatable cofferdams can help mitigate the underlying factors that make hurricane damage and flooding of roadways such a complex and trying task to surmount. Therefore, it is essential to consider all your options and invest in a sound, tested, and time-proven solution to protect against hurricanes in flood-prone areas.
Learn More And Get A Cofferdam Consultation From Dam-It-Dams
Dam-It-Dams is your home for flooding solutions, and our inflatable cofferdams are second to none in terms of protection and durability. Call us today at 810-695-1695 or go online to request a free cofferdam quote to make sure you’ll be ready for next hurricane season.